05 January, 2007

Should I stay or should I go?


Today:

The superintendent came to visit our faculty. He said: "It's cheaper to buy a new car than fix an old one." This analogy was meant to communicate that our school was an "old car." Apparently, this man would rather drive a new Dodge than fix and old Volvo, but I digress.

He also said that the plan is to open a transfer school DURING THE DAY which will take the 18-21 year olds we teach AND English Language Learners AND severe Special Education students. I told him that what will happen is that
1) The ELL kids will come because they need to learn English
2) The Special Ed kids will come because they need the services they are getting to have survival skills
3) The students we teach will stay home or be at work. But that won't matter because, as only a tiny percentage of the population, their absence or attendance won't hurt the school's statistics. (They won't be a third as the other populations are larger, overall.) So, our kids will be lost. He said he didn't think that would happen. He also indicated the new school will have more counselors and generally more services than we do and perhaps, even a bus for students. I told him we had asked for those things, but they were never funded. Since he's new, he said he can't really speak to why that is.



I have enough money to go to school full time to study nursing and pay my bills. Assuming I can get a job after I finish, I am thinking of


1) Resigning from the Dept. of Education -- meaning I'm NEVER teaching in a NYC public school again.


2) Taking an extended leave of absence for "Medical Health Restoration."


or


3) Just toughing it out, finding a new job an then getting the RN part time.





I know the third choice is the safest, the second, also pretty safe. What appeals about the first choice is I can JUST GO. No one has to approve whether I leave or not. I just leave and I'm done.





Anyone who wants to weigh in, please do so. I'm exhausted. I need to find out how soon I can start classes. Assuming I can start in the spring, my heart wants to leave and never come back.





Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Pacian said...

Don't ask me. I've always been a quitter. My response to being too depressed to work on a degree at one of the best universities in the UK was to quit and do a far easier one at a third-rate university instead. It didn't solve anything, but it got me a qualification and passed the time.

These times are always the hardest. I hope you muddle through okay.

OutoftheBullpen said...

The layout of this post looks like a worksheet. I am not sure which position that supports, but I thought you should know. Good luck.