13 March, 2007

What I've been writing lately...

Poem for Karen

Symphonies of bicycles couldn’t move as fast
Or touch me as quickly
I stood next to you looking at carved stone
You kept walking away from me but then we couldn’t stop walking
It rained on us all day
You wanted to buy me something more than soup, but I didn’t let you buy me that
“I don’t want to use you.”
That’s all I could ever offer, and even then, I wasn’t true. I borrowed money sometimes and let you buy me expensive meals which weren’t too expensive but were more than I needed because
I wanted so desperately not to be afraid of you
The ocean, the sky, the you who might not come home because you flew to
Away
Because all I know how to do is to say
Stop
Here is my ring
Take it, take me and I will be there for you forever. Here.
Nothing scares me more than the possibility of flight
Which is everything you need for love.
But I did love flying
My life is always hinging – like a door hinge – like my sentences
Flying, unaware was a great gift
You took care of everything.
In flight, we’d look at each other, ask each other questions and it always came back to
“you” with no pauses.

No comments: