29 December, 2006

More on how impeaching Bush has to do with Ford

I was about 8 or so when he was president.

For as long as I can remember, much earlier than 8, I have always wanted to fall in love with a quiet, honorable, father figure.

It is impossible, however, as I did in my first post about his death, to ignore the fact that he
1) Tried to get William O. Douglas off of the Supreme Court
2) Made a major change to the Warren commission report on JFK's death which made it seem more likely that there was only one bullet involved
3) Brought neo-cons to their first powerful places
4) In pardoning Nixon, may have covered up his role in the JFK assasination.
5) In his debate against Jimmy Carter, he said, "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe and there never will be under a Ford Administration."

So, maybe he was more evil than he seemed. All the more reason to stop some of the problems he may have intentionally or inadvertently caused by impeaching Bush.

I'm still grateful for his appointment of Stevens. There had to have been some decency in him at that moment. Or maybe, like Souter, Stevens seemed more conservative than he was.

He did also tell Bob Woodward that he disagreed with the Iraq war and that he thought gay people deserved equal rights. This is more fodder for what I want to believe: that he was a decent guy manipulated by indecent ones. However, I am willing to admit doubts...

I still have in my mind the image of Ford surrounded by people he doesn't "get" wanting to salvage things around him for people he also didn't understand. That's probably naivete combined with projection of my Aspergian inability to "get it."

Is it possible to be surrounded by people whose intentions are to cover up truths and deceive the American people and not know because you cannot imagine it and because they seem "sensible"? I doubt it.

So, maybe it's not in honor of Ford that we impeach Bush, but BECAUSE OF FORD. Because the two are equally deceptive and the latter is far more zealous in his attempts to subvert the needs of the people. I doubt that Ford saw himself as part of a greater good that was intended to change the face of the country and continue the imbalance of the classes. Barry Goldwater said he voted against Civil Rights legislation because he was deceived into thinking it would somehow create unfairness. Is it possible that Ford was similarly fooled? Who knows? Jimmy Carter, who was a friend of Ford's called him,"one of the most admirable public servants and human beings I have ever known." Did he get better with age? Or, is Carter as naive as I am? That's actually possible.

Either way, it's time for Bush to go. However he got here, whatever role anyone had to play, it's time for Bush to GO!

No comments: