07 October, 2007

The Campaign Subway Ride #1

Most teachers ride the subways to get to work in NYC. Trains go on "rides" as if they were for amusement. I'm not distant enough -- yet -- from believing in the importance of the election to not put my messy shoeprints into this subway car. Overworked metaphors aside, calling anything a "trail" feels fuzzy to me. People are traveling by trains, busses, cars. It's more like an "expedition". Since that is even less visceral to me, I'll stick with "virtual subway ride through the nation." Very New York, but since I can't have the "Have mores" group that George Bush does as his base, I'll stick with the "Have New York" group as my base.

The UFT and the AFT -- our local and national teachers unions came out in support of Hillary this week. Since our unions have proven themselves to be more allies of corporations than the corporeal bodies in their classrooms, this adds to my skepticism of Mrs. Clinton.

Also this week, no viable Democratic candidate -- Hillary, Barack or John E. could promise the troops would be out of Iraq by 2013.

Essentially, on the larger issues, the more visible candidates grow more similar and more disappointing.

I'm sure they will say the requisite things about results, results and a little bit about class size when the time to talk Education comes.

So, I am now opting to look at candidates for "the little things". Who is polite, who is concrete and pragmatic and who seems to run a good campaign.

So far, my vote is for ...Barack Obama. I wouldn't have thought this months ago when I was a staunch Edwards supporter. People have pointed out how Obama makes slightly better linguistic choices in his speeches and seems to connect a bit better than Edwards. I am most convinced by his ability...for what reason I do not know...to understand the "on the ground" pragmatics of the campaign. His grassroots background has made him and his campaign very good and bringing in local support along his virtual subway ride. He has his methods down to personally pointing out where you can sign up to volunteer. See this cleverly written piece by Roger Simon for more details http://www.creators.com/opinion/roger-simon.html

No comments: