19 July, 2010

Making lists of lists

I still haven't gotten to the place where I find writing down a list acceptable.

However, I am constantly revising ones in my memory. Today there wre the many forms to print. 2010 and some offices actually still want you to print and mail forms. Why is that?

Time is absolutely no balm to wounds. What it is, is a tyrant to the memory. All sorts of things from the remote past become clear and where you left your cell phone a minute ago is a mystery.

Two years ago, I remember being chided for seeming to have a good time while working. What's the point in having an awful time? But this is the result of being in a world in which we are being evaluated for perceived productivity. I suppose I couldn't be effective and be laughing? One of the many things I've liked about working with high school students is that they are interesting. They are especially so as I never was the kind of teenager they are. I wore my backpack on both shoulders, sat outside classrooms and gave up my lunch period to add another class to my schedule. So, the world of the teenager amuses me. It seems much more like the world of Shakespeare than anything I've ever known.

Writing this blogpost was not on my list. Defiance never is, but I am always trying to practice it. Since, like laughter, it is nearly gone from my professional life, it must live on in my personal one.

No comments: