03 June, 2010

There but for you go I

All right, it's a song from Brigadoon.

It's more than that. It's a lesson that took me a long time to learn.

When I was a young teacher, I was pretty judgmental. It's easy when you're new and self-assured because you haven't had your ideas shaken yet, to look askance at others. In fact, it was not until I was punished myself, that I fully understood the folly of even pretending to know what another person's classroom is like, what his/her intentions are, and finally, what level of effectiveness he/she reaches.

This year I have found myself much on the other end of things, so much so that I am incapable of fighting back because I have no idea what ground I stand on. If there is one word of wisdom I could give to any young teacher is to avoid judging others, at all costs, if only because of how much bad Karma it has brought me.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all learn from age and experience.