20 December, 2009

Shut up! I can't handle your pain. Take a tranquilizer!

The above quote came from my mother, five minutes into my describing my teaching life. It occurred to me that she has probably NEVER been able to to handle any of my pain -- why I learned to tranquilize myself with everything from ice cream to spaghetti as a child.

And I wonder how many of my students use other drugs, violence and just the extension of rage for the same reason.

We must have more psychologists in schools. I got regular counseling in HS and College which is how I survived.

1 comment:

FidgetyTeach said...

Thank goodness for the psychologists who stepped up to help you as a child. As the need grows greater, there seems to be less and less support thanks to our school budgets. On a sadder note, I believe that there are more social workers and psychologists now in the Rubber Room than there are in the school buildings...thanks to Randi and the Mayor.