12 June, 2009

The ATR job market...same time, this year

So far, incentives and hiring freezes aside, all the experienced teachers I know over 40 seem to be getting the same cold shoulders they did last year. Teachers with 25 years of experience who are bilingual and can teach music and other things out of license are being asked, "Why should I hire you?"

I know one person with experience who was hired and he is 34.

I am "Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's" hopeful about one school which I adore and to which I hope I can be of use. Two more interviews loom at two other schools in which I'd gladly work and I plan to make big, cheerful presentations, full of aspirations, some student work, and concretely designed ideas. If my heart will not be sunk by the usual fear and sense of doom which comes from some of the continued grim realities of things, I should be able to do what I aim to do. It's amazing -- I can feel an influx of warm oil over the nerves and my brain sinks like a sponge full of jello. That's what it feels like when I think too much about the odds or the horrors my colleagues and I have experienced in downright disrespectful situations. None yet for me this year, and I hope (and I blow a full balloon inside my chest when I say that word) none too soon.

But, I know the removal of music and arts programs at certain schools is part of an effort to de-stabilize them so they can be closed. This ATR pattern is not going away.

If, in the end, 85 percent of the ATR's are not hired by finding their own jobs, but are sent by the DOE to be interviewed and eventually find work that way, why not start now? Klein initially called ATR's "undesireables" -- not many of the new principals have enough experience with older teachers to lose that first impression no matter how many times Klein now calls us worthy. Why not just place us now? Does Bloomberg think that in an election year he can negotiate a contract in which the UFT gives up job security? What would the UFT do, then, effectively? The 3020a process would dissipate as people could be excessed and then let go. Could they really justify their salaries just for a medical and dental plan (the latter of which I have spent my life avoiding using thanks to my uncle being a dentist. Since he retired, my teeth have been living in fear.) Would they just negotiate another raise? Would it just be about money? Then we would definitely be abandoning the children. No amount of money can replace acceptable working conditions. By acceptable, I mean ones in which the students and you feel secure enough to invest in the school in which you can be adventurous, challenging and creative.

2 comments:

Fan of your blog said...

This is from a friend, also an ATR. She is also over 40 (and 50) with 13 years experience, has been a mentor and has an AP license and cannot even get a teaching interview. I can't post it on my blog because that his too close to home:

I have been a teacher in a high school for over 13 years. The last 4 years I spent as a mentor. When mentoring was ended by the DOE all mentors were made ATR's. Many of us were returned to our home schools. Currently due to the hiring freeze we were told we would be to be rehired. I was told by a UFT official that my principal agreed to this. But the principal has changed his mind due to influence from the AP. UFT says they are working on this. this is very upsetting to me... Any advice?

Rachel Grynberg said...

My advice is:

What about seniority within the school? Shouldn't you be able to bump someone -- this is a big deal and you should write Amy Arundell about this anyway. Her email is later in this comment. I don't think the UFT noticed this little glitch -- you should've been able to go back to teaching. It's not like you did anything wrong? What's that about? I'd tell you to write to Randi, too, but you will find no more dogged spirit than Amy and she can do the pushing at any relevant doors for you. Email, do not call. Email works. If she doesn't write back quickly, I'd be surprised, but let me know. It's like your being punished for having been ambitious.

Now...back to the specifics:
The truth is probably your principal doesn't want to pay your salary. Find out if you are eligible for that crazy agreement the UFT made where ATR's from closing schools (and maybe closed job titles) come with a big discount -- I'm 20,000 for the first year, and 30,000 for the next seven. Then, of course, the principal has to pay for me whole. I have 14 years to go before I can retire. If you are eligible -- and the only person to ask is Amy Arundell at the UFT aarundell@uft.org -- I would inform your principal ASAP. Bet that changes his mind.

If it doesn't:

It could also be that the principal sees you as someone who might retire soon --- though I don't know how that could be given your years in. If he thinks that, he's not going to want to have to put up with your brains and talent for five years when he could be busy squashing marshmallow 24 year olds for less than the price of a Volvo. A "frank" talk about how you can meet his expectations with a UFT Rep present and the understanding you initiated this out of your own concern not any disciplinary issues, might help.


On the outside chance it's the AP (which I really think is BALONEY) see if you can meet with your UFT Rep and the AP to talk about what she would like to see in a teacher, etc. Again, the agreement that this is not disciplinary, but something you initiated so you can contribute even more to the team effort. (My best effort at business-eze.)

If nothing else works, hit the Open Market. If you don't come with a discount it IS going to be hard for you to get hired, but it's not impossible. I actually had an interview with a terrific principal recently. Doesn't mean I'll get hired, but he has as much experience in the classroom as I do and he's a mensch. So, they are out there.

Glad you wrote. If you email me at FloraineRochelleKay@yahoo.com, I can give you my phone number if you need a shoulder at which to scream.

Bottom line, though: It will be okay. You may not be working at this school, but you will work somewhere. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be building your skill sets, etc., but I don't think they're going to hand over our heads. They might hand over benefits or something else or screw the next generation with a Tier 5 401K. And given these times, that's better than youngsters would do in a lot of places. When I was 22 and starting out, I was the best paid of all my friends in their respective entry-level jobs -- except for my Yuppie friend. (what we called them back then).

I try to think positive because the alternative is so scary. I am goingto learn two new computer programs and resume Spanish, but I'm not imagining the worst. What I'm hoping is, worst case scenario, I go to work for the most evil administration of the worst run school in New York and...I figure it out.