29 April, 2009

I'm scrambling -- Toss a coin for me, lend advice...

Feel free to vote, though Anonymous votes will be erased.

Should I:
Get a special ed license on the theory there's always a need, even if at private schools and the pay is bound to be better than data entry.

Just consider my teaching career dead and train as a paralegal so I have an immediate job I can work over 40 hours a week at and almost make ends meet. I will have completed the training roughly when our contract runs out in October. THEN--Dig in and go to Law School hopefully while I still have a teaching job to pay for part of it--Get myself a whopping good tutor and take the nine exams to become an Actuary on the theory that I did pass the Stuyvesant test once...This will also assume I'm making enough money to pay rent.

Sit tight and ride out this ATR business as the UFT swears they won't let us go. So far they haven't and they could have.

Abandon all hope. The undercurrent behind all of my choices is a feeling of "it wont work".

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Floraine, I spoke to some UFT reps that were in my school today and they swear that there is absolutely no way you will be unemployed. Even if Bloomberg declares a fiscal emergency and teachers are laid off, you will not be one of them. You would be assigned a school immediately. They said you should not go for another license because if you get one and start over, you give up your tenure, something you do not want to do.

The woman I spoke to is Janella T. Hinds jhinds@uft.org. She is the city wide high school rep. I told her about you and she said you should get in touch with her.

I hope this helps.

Rachel Grynberg said...

I am very grateful to you. I will contact her asap. I'm still going to get paralegal training.

Is my tenure worth anything? If I can't get a job, wouldn't it be better to have a license in need? I'll ask her.

I lost my phone, I was drafted to shlep around with my students today as they taught first and second graders. They were all wonderful teachers in their own way. That made the pain of walking up and down stairs worth it.

Amy said...

Don't do anything to jeopardize your tenure until you know more about it.