15 July, 2008

An amazing story

Roll back seven years ago. My first bonding experience with Henry came when the radiator cap came off our heater and, being a nice Jewish girl and not knowing how to put it back on, I called the fire department as the steam filled my bedroom, then my apartment. I shut the door on the bedroom and had to chase Henry out of there. The fire dept came and left, not at all surprised by my call (my neighborhood is right next door to Hasidic Jewish Boro Park) and I saw Larry, but no Henry. Frantic, I raced around the apt and I thought he left. Finally, I noticed Larry's nose had been pointed toward the bottom of the refrigerator the entire time. I looked down to find Henry's little white butt stuck at the bottom. He got under, but couldn't get out. I reached down and gently pulled him out and from that moment and onward had a purring Henry in my arms.

Flash forward to this morning. I wake up and I see Larry, but no Bernie. I ask Larry, where's Bernie and he won't move. I'm like, "You know, Bernie? BERRRRRRNIE?" I race around the house, calling and calling and no Bernie. A little sooner than seven years ago, I realize Larry has been pointing his nose toward under the bed the entire time. I look under and there is my 19 month old tub of fur, stuck, it seems. So, I pull off the futon, and grab him by the scruff of his neck through the one part of the frame wide enough to pull him through, and with a lift, I have a cooing, purring little 14 pounder in my arms. I run him to the actual bedroom (the futon couch lives in the living room), close the door and see if his back legs work by throwing the catnip carrot and they do. As usual, Larry is already behind the door and Bernie is sniffing for him ("It's going to be okay, little buddy.") So, I let Larry in to feed them both a celebratory extra breakfast and Bernie races out the door, runs under the futon and then right out. He was perfectly capable of getting out.

They re-enacted the Henry story for me. (And found a way to get a second breakfast.) Bernie could never fit under the refrigerator, not even at eight months, so this was the closest they could come.

Larry's been sitting in Henry's chair for week's now and he hadn't for months. Bernie, too.
After they ate, the two of them curled up in the sun for a few hours.
They did well and they did me a lot of good. They really did. I'm very lucky.

1 comment:

FidgetyTeach said...

What a wonderfully encouraging story. Now if we as humans could only tap into our intuition to help ourselves and others out of life's little messes. We certainly can learn many lessons from our furry little friends. Thanks for making me smile.