22 June, 2008

I just can't talk about raises

I just wish I wasn't being discriminated against for my salary in the DOE, okay. I can't talk about the raise, anymore. I don't blame anyone. Please, please, please. It's hard to look for a job within the Dept. of Education of NYC and know that the very raise they gave you is now working against you. There's just something insane about it. But, I don't want anyone to hate me. I've been very lucky. Everyone has been very kind. You can just see why it can get to you, after a while, going to interviews with principals of schools who work for the DOE, knowing that they are going to have a hard time affording you, when the DOE set your salary. So, the DOE thought you were worth that money, but they won't help you find a school within which to earn it. This is true for everyone, even my friend who has something like eighteen years of remarkable service with tons of honors. All of the teachers from schools which have been closed, from the one with the orneriest record to the one with the shiniest are being told that there are no permanent places for them -- not officially, but they do not often get interviews, and when they do, they are quickly rejected for cheaper options. They will become long-term substitutes known as Assigned Teacher Reserves, who will continue to be demonized in the press, and then they will -- I WILL -- be fired. The contract expires in October 2009.

The UFT promises they will not allow this to happen. They will put up a fight.

My fear is that New York City will roll right over them.

Here's the UFT story about it
http://www.uft.org/news/teacher/top/job_barriers_atr/

No comments: