13 December, 2007

If he walked into my life...


There's a song which opens, "If he walked into my life, would I feel this way again" which thinks through what a person would do if someone they love just walked out on them and then later walked back in. On various days of foolish and unfathomable feelings, I've played it and sung it. Tonight, however, I wonder it about good ol' Roger Clemens of whom it is suggested that his steroid use parallels that of Barry Bonds'.
As a Yankees fan over the last three years, its been impossible for me to not fall for "The Rocket" legend, even as I joked that if we bought him and David Wells then we could be assured that the game would be fully pitched through since what I remembered of both of their last visits was that they mostly couldn't make it past four innings. As I recall they were about even, Wells without steroids, apparently. But in his last return, there was something of the "Cowboy Up" appeal -- which should have told us all we were in trouble as this was a Red Sox gimmick. I did look forward to him going out there and grinding out innings with spit and forethought. Well, that's what I thought, anyway.
Somewhere in the song, the question is asked that if the object of affection returned, "would I look the other way?" Or, in this case, would I just plain, "look the other way" and still see Roger Clemens. Another question is also asked: "Will I feel the same again?"
Let's see where and when he walks in. I don't want to see him as a Yankee, but I don't think anyone did even before this scandal.
But, I mind my feelings, whatever are left of them. I'll let you know what they tell me.

3 comments:

OutoftheBullpen said...

Nice use of the song, Saddleshoe.

More evidence that Red Sox play dirty. Gagne's already traded. What about Varitek?

About Clemens, I never wanted him and I didn't want him back. The audience at last season's Pinstripes on the Park was less than enthusiastic when he made his first post-re-signing appearance. His cheerleading then and after was seductive, but it rang a little sad.

As Clemens once called David Wells, we may now call him Eli.

No surprise about Petitte. They were inseparable.

By the way, the Yanks fired their personal trainer, McNamee, whom Clemens brought over from Toronto, in 2001. He is their alleged supplier, and I believe Clemens continued to see him.

That was a public statement of the Yanks' approach to anything suspicious. And it's suspicious that there are so many Yankees on the list. Then again, would we expect less of conclusions drawn by the Chairman of the Red Sox Board? However, I must admit, a brief bio hunt turned up nothing unpraiseworthy, let alone compromising, about Mitchell except his team position in the Red Sox organization, and the fact that he did not recuse himself from the commission immediately. He should never have accepted a role that by itself demonstrates his conflict of interest.

Giambi and Sheffield were open (Sheffield used a topical formula as I recall). But I hope they didn't inform. If they had to, so be it. Giambi was summoned more than once, and he is a friend of Wells!


But we must remember overall that most "evidence" in the Mitchell paper is from informants, as I understand it. Informants are criminals caught red handed, and they have every reason to "cooperate." How much more do we trust their information than the word of the waterboarded?

Finally, why were the results of the contractually-anonymous drug tests made available to the committee? (or, am I confusing this committee with another?) Although the results were not used as evidence in the report, it should not have been available as I understand the contract. Is this another execution of self-righteous union-busting?

ed notes online said...

I was tagged by Eduwonkette into revealing 7 pieces of information about myself in the chain of info going around the blogging world like a virus.

The rules are:
- Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
- Share 7 random and or weird things about yourself.
- Tag 7 random (or not) people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
- Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Sorry, you are one of the unlucky 7 I tagged.

Anonymous said...

Us Met fans have had our suspicions since the broken bat incident ... and as Met fans there have been Yankees that have been impossible to dislike, Greg Nettles, Paul O'Neil, Thurmon Munson, Bernie Williams and others ...

Clemens was never one of them.

... hey, if you get a chance, check out the poetry slam on our blog and vote!