16 June, 2007

Shameful mix of politics and sports

Politics and sports are always blended, but it's shameful, to me anyway, when promos go to the wrong people.

Apparently, Rudy Giuliani and George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees are good friends. And apparently, either to be jocular, or to seem straight, on 3/20/2007 Suzyn Waldman offered Giuliani an open opportunity to get on mic on Yankees broadcasts whenever he is on the campaign trail in a city in which the team is visiting. You can read about this on http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=9539

In the reign of foolishness of Mike Bloomberg, even I sometimes hark back to the days of Giuliani, who was not as effective at destroying the schools -- though he started the ball rolling. But, Giuliani was a tyrant, nonetheless, who did nothing to make this city a better place. It may not seem that way from a closet in Westchester where some anonymous person/partner can watch one's dogs, but for those of us not hiding in a forest, the devastation is immediately palpable. And how dare anyone basically give a national microphone to a presidential candidate so easily -- she not only virtually endorsed Giuliani, but she gave him a free platform on which to campaign!

I am still grateful for the precision of the descriptions of the game that Waldman and her radio partner Sterling usually provide. I will hope that Giuliani doesn't take Waldman up on her offer. I've sent the broadcasters an email, for whatever that's worth. For now, I'll be listening to the opposing team's radio teams -- until there is an explanation or an apology. No one should just gladhand Yankee air time to a presidential candidate.

I'm disappointed. As you know from my previous posts, I found the the radio broadcasts on WCBS fun.

3 comments:

Ignati said...

If you must watch a DVD, it's called "Giuliani Time". Anyone out there contemplating voting for this man should see this DVD and get a quick refresher course on the Pre 911 hype of him being called the country's mayor! It is a must see!
Hugs to the boys!

Rachel Grynberg said...

Thanks, I'll get that. There's also the Wayne Barrett book, "Grand Illusion" which I think I will get now.

The boys send hugs and purrs back!

OutoftheBullpen said...

I'm as anti-Giuliani as they come. I interpret her inappropriate statement differently, however. To me, she is starstruck. And, remember, when he was mayor, the Yankees were allegedly "America's Team." (Yeah, sure, the team everybody loves to hate!) He was around a lot back then, so she may not have been have been thinking of equal time for presidential candidates. I am disappointed in her.