25 July, 2006

Burning Habits and why theater is still worthwhile

I just came back from watching Blair Fell's play Burning Habits which is performed in several episodes at Dillon's bar in NYC. Just when I was feeling as if it is irresponsible to create art at a time when so much inequity exists at basic levels, the play reminded me of how important theater really is to our culture. Onstage, all of the revelations I consider so novel are taken for granted -- The Catholic Church, the homeless, gay bars, deaf mutes and musical theater all collide -- and, of course they do. Last year, when (my) Karen and I saw it, we were astonished by the wisdom spoken offhandedly between the jokes and the high campyness. There was one line which I can only paraphrase, which basically stated that, at a time when things are so wrong, one's only choice is to be an outlaw. The clarity the piece brings to the undercurrents of power and torture in our schools, our families and our struggling cities is incredible. And of course, it's incredibly funny. Where else will you see the ghosts of lesbian nuns, a southern housewife and rich ladies who are the true archetype for Karen on "Will and Grace" (not my Karen, the television Karen).


Sadly, Burning Habits closed. For information on when the show might re-open, and to join the mailing list go to: www.burninghabits.com

No comments: